Boart Longyear Launches Line of Hammers, Bits
- Published: Friday, 09 May 2014 16:04
Boart Longyear is launching the BLH series of down-the-hole (DTH) hammers and bits. Designed to increase productivity in reverse circulation (RC) drilling and conventional DTH drilling, the new BLH series can be used in almost all DTH applications, including geotechnical drilling, quarrying/mining, water well/geothermal, and mineral exploration.
The BLH DTH hammer range includes the valved BLH5, BLH3, and the valve-less BLH1 models. A full line of Boart Longyear DTH bits are available to support the new BLH hammers.
“By introducing our new BLH DTH hammer and bit line, Boart Longyear is simultaneously addressing our customer demand for a DTH solution to increase productivity while increasing our product offering of percussive drilling tools,” said John Nielson, senior product manager for Boart Longyear. “The BLH line will deliver productivity in the ground with the quality and reliability Boart Longyear is known for.”
The BLH5 DTH hammer range delivers the lowest total drilling cost of the new line. Designed to be compact, the BLH5 hammer reduces its length by 30 percent and reduces its weight by 20 percent compared to typical DTH hammers. This unique design provides:
- Balanced operation with minimized vibration due to the piston in the hammer having virtually the same mass as the bit.
- Better productivity in various ground conditions from a high frequency, low vibration operation.
- Elimination of problematic exhaust tubes or foot valves on bits.
- Resistance to breakage through the splines as it features the largest shank cross section available by nearly 50 percent.
The BLH3 DTH hammer range adds a reliable and robust steel valve system to increase productivity over valve-less hammers. The valve-less BLH1 DTH hammer range is a great balance between simplicity and performance, with minimal moving parts.
Boart Longyear DTH hammers range from a 4-in. to a 20-in. class, with a full complement of bits available. Boart Longyear also offers accessories including lubrication systems and break-out benches.
Boart Longyear, www.boartlongyear.com/DTH