The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide more than $25 million for newly approved Gulf Coast rebuilding projects to assist communities as they continue to recover from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide more than $25 million for newly approved Gulf Coast rebuilding projects to assist communities as they continue to recover from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. This is the latest in a series of Gulf Coast recovery projects that have totaled more than $2.5 billion since 2009.
"Over the past twenty months, this administration has cut bureaucratic red tape that had slowed recovery and expedited assistance across the Gulf Coast," says DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano. "We will continue to work with our federal, state and local, private sector, faith-based and nonprofit partners, as well as Gulf Coast residents, to ensure local communities have the assistance they need to rebuild the region stronger than ever."
The projects include:
- Over $11 million to Louisiana's state government to help Xavier University rebuild 22 main buildings on the campus of Xavier University. To date, FEMA has provided a total of more than $55 million in federal grants to Xavier University in response to the storm.
- Over $2.7 million to the Archdiocese of New Orleans St. Martin Manor Yellow Masonry Assisted Living Complex to help replace the Yellow Brick building
- Over $1.4 million to Salmen High School to help replace athletic department facilities
- Over $5.1 million to repair the sanitary sewer system in St. Bernard Parish
- Over $2.5 million to help repair several classrooms at Our Lady of Lourdes School campus
- $3 million to repair damages to the Cameron Parish recreation center and gymnasium
- Roughly $1.1 million to add 12 properties in Jefferson Parish from the alternative property list. The structures will be elevated or reconstructed in compliance with the latest building codes as well as to one foot above Advisory Base Flood Elevation. This additional funding brings the total federal funding for the project to nearly $6.2 million, which will cover 25 pilot reconstructions and 11 elevation projects of flood prone structures throughout Jefferson Parish.
- More than $1.6 million to upgrade Hancock North Central Elementary to include a hardened shelter.