A program in Virginia rewards companies that apply innovative techniques to reclaim land and who set the bar high with their safety and community outreach programs. The Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance (VTCA), in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy – Division of Mineral Mining, presented the following awards on July 11:
Safety Awards are presented to mining operations in Virginia that have met or exceeded a benchmark of safety criteria in their day-to day plant operations.
- 0 – 25,000 Employee Hours: Vulcan Materials – Dale Quarry, Chester, Va.
- 25,000 – 50,000 Employee Hours: O-N Minerals (Chemstone) – Winchester Plant, Winchester, Va.
- 50,000 – 75,000 Employee Hours: Stuart M. Perry, Inc. – Winchester Quarry, Winchester, Va.
- 75,000+ Employee Hours: Mountain Materials Inc. – Castlewood Plant, Castlewood, Va.
- 0 – 5,000 Employee Hours: Holland Sand Pit, Suffolk, Va.
- 5,000 – 10,000 Employee Hours: Bardon Inc. – Mattaponi Sand/Gravel, King & Queen County, Va.
- 10,000 – 30,000 Employee Hours: Iluka Resources Inc. – Old Hickory Mine, Dinwiddie, Va.
- 30,000+ Employee Hours: Bennett Mineral Co. Inc. - #1, Walkerton, Va.
Reclamation Awards from the Virginia Division of Mineral Mining are presented to mining operations in Virginia that have been selected by their DMM inspector based on projects that have resulted in successfully reclaiming a portion of their permitted operations.
Overall Winner - Quarry
- General Shale Brick, Mine 18 Yuma, Roanoke, Va.
Honorable Mention – Quarry
- Roanoke Cement Co. – Roanoke Cement, Troutville, Va.
Honorable Mention - Non–Quarry
- Bardon Inc. – Ashland Plant, Ashland, Va.
- Bay Sand Co. – Mine #1, Smithfield, Va.