NSSGA announced the Gold, Silver and Bronze winners of its Safety, Environmental and Community Relations Excellence Awards, in addition to the association’s top honor – The Stars of Excellence for operations that accumulate Gold Awards in Safety, Environmental or Community Relations over a five-year period.
The awards program recognizes aggregates operations throughout the United States and Canada for their extraordinary commitment to safety, their superior performance as environmental stewards and their community involvement and support activities that have enhanced the image of the aggregates industry during 2010-2011. The Stars of Excellence and all Gold Awards only in each category will be presented at NSSGA’s 2012 Annual Convention in Charlotte at the Westin Charlotte hotel on Monday, March 12.
The winners are:
Two Stars of Excellence
- Pioneers Aggregates, CalPortland, DuPont, Wash.
Gold Award Winners
Safety Excellence Award Winners
- Tilcon Connecticut Inc., an Oldcastle company, Southington Sand & Gravel, Small, Southington, Conn.
- Martin Marietta Materials, Helotes Plant, Medium, San Antonio, Texas
Martin Marietta Materials, New Braunfels Quarry, Large, New Braunfels, Texas
Safety Sterling Award Winners
- Iddings Quarry, Inc., Small, Mifflinburg, Pa.
- Dalrymple Holding Corp., Medium, Pine City, N.Y.
- ISP Minerals Inc., Large, Hagerstown, Md.
- Arena Sand & Gravel, Lehigh Hanson, Garwood, Texas
- Ball Ground Quarry, Lafarge, Nelson, Ga.
- Bridgeport Quarry, Lehigh Hanson, Chico, Texas
- Center Hill Quarry, CEMEX, Center, Fla.
- Lacey's Spring Quarry, Rogers Group, Inc., Lacey's Spring, Ala.
- Littleton Quarry, Aggregate Industries, Littleton, Mass.
Gold Community Relations
- Riverdale/Pompton Lakes Quarry, Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle company, Riverdale and Pompton Lakes, N.J.
- Gator Sand Mine, CEMEX, Davenport, Fla.
- Pioneer Aggregates, CalPortland, DuPont, Wash.
- McCook Quarry, Vulcan Materials Company, McCook, Ill.
- Searcy Quarry, Vulcan Materials Company, Judsonia, Ark.
- SMI Ostrander Quarry, The Shelly Company, an Oldcastle company, Ostrander, Ohio
- West Nyack Quarry, Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle company, West Nyack, N.Y.
“We are so pleased to be able to recognize CalPortland’s Pioneer Aggregates with the National Stars of Excellence award, in addition to all our Gold Award winners,” said NSSGA President and CEO Joy Wilson. “Every day, our members continue to show their commitment to the industry and their communities in promoting safe working conditions, recognizing the importance of environmental stewardship and maintaining outstanding community relations. These awards demonstrate their important contributions to a sustainable America.”
“Our winners have every reason to be proud of their achievements,” said NSSGA Chairman of the Board Dave Thomey, executive vice president, Maryland Materials, Inc. “I congratulate each of these operations for their commitment to outstanding corporate citizenship and support of their communities. They remind us of the important role the aggregates industry plays in ensuring a greater quality of life in America.”