The U.S. Department of Labor's Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) named the winners of the 2010 Sentinels of Safety Awards. The Sentinels of Safety Awards recognize mining operations in various categories that record the most hours in a calendar year without a single lost-time injury.
Beginning in 2005, a minimum of 4,000 hours were required for consideration, and the award categories were expanded to allow greater recognition of the safety accomplishments of both small and large mines.
Large Quarry Group Winner:
Mine Name: Three Rivers Quarry
Company Name: Martin Marietta Materials, Inc., Smithland, Ky.
Hours Worked: 143,158
- Chico Quarry, Martin Marietta Materials Inc., Chico, Texas
- Millard Quarry, Pennsy Supply Inc., Annville, Pa.
- McKelligon Canyon, Cemex Construction Materials South LLC., El Paso, Texas
- Imerys Sylacauga Operations, Imerys Carbonates, LLC, Sylacauga, Ala.
Small Quarry Group Winner:
Mine Name: Reef Mine
Company Name: Southwest Stone, Inc., Ferron, Utah
Hours Worked: 11,470
- Hartford Quarry, Apac-Kansas Inc., Shears Division, Hartford, Kan.
- Phx San-Man Coolidge Plant, Phoenix San-Man, Coolidge, Ariz.
- Portable Crushing Plant #1 , Coots Materials Co. Inc., Vinton, Iowa
- Haller's Pit, Delhur Industries Inc., Port Angeles, Wash.
Large Bank or Pit Group Winner:
Mine Name: Voca Plant
Company Name: Unimin Corp., Voca, Texas
Hours Worked: 112,750
- Colorado County Sand & Gravel Co. LLC., Colorado County Sand & Gravel Co. LLC, Altair, Texas
- Sun Valley Plant, Calmat Co., Sun Valley, Calif.
- Collins, Dan Gernatt Gravel Products Inc., Collins, N.Y.
- Section 14, Jobe Materials LP., El Paso, Texas
Small Bank or Pit Group Winner:
Mine Name: Cemex-Maricopa
Company Name: Cemex Construction Materials South, LLC., Maricopa, Ariz.
Hours Worked: 8,744
- Tecumseh Quarry, Stansley Mineral Resources Inc., Tecumseh, Mich.
- KW Crushing, KW Crushing, Avalon, Utah
- Midwest Aggregates, Payne & Dolan Inc., Antioch, Ill.
- Circleville-Richards, The Melvin Stone Company LLC., Circleville, Ohio