ARI News Feed
- Cement-makers want green status for power generated through waste-heat recovery
- Holcim earns P1.43 billion in first quarter
- National cement sales grow 8.6 percent during January-April
- Sandvik Asia eyes Indian mining, construction equipment market
- Lafarge raises €200M to accelerate its development in India
|Ottawa Quarry Expansion Questioned|
|Monday, 09 January 2012 12:04|
Local media in Canada is reporting that the potential expansion of a rural sand quarry south of Ottawa is pitting neighbors against each other in a clash of the agriculture and construction industries. Lafarge is looking to expand its sand quarry near Kemptville to the displeasure of some residents.
At issue is the use of land for expanding quarry operations versus using it for agricultural purposes. Noise and dust issues are also in play. Lafarge said it hasn't yet applied for a license or re-zoning to expand the quarry; but the local municipality said such a request would likely be approved if the company meets all the criteria.
Complaints about noise resulting from double-shifts working at the quarry were recently answered with fruit baskets and notes of apology that were delivered to farmers in the nearby area.