Making some Illi-noise
- Published: Thursday, 13 January 2011 12:34
- Written by Mark Kuhar
The Illinois Association of Aggregate Producers is a charter member of the Transportation for Illinois Coalition, a statewide coalition of business, labor, local government and not-for-profit organizations united behind one objective — increased investment in Illinois’ transportation infrastructure. Since coming together in 2002, TFIC has formulated goals each year that advance this objective, which the Coalition then shares with the public and federal and state policymakers. TFIC Federal Goals for 2011 are as follows:
• Communicate with new members of Congress to educate them on TFIC and the importance of infrastructure investment.
• Ensure that Illinois’ donor state status with regard to federal user fees and transportation funding doesn’t worsen in the next federal highway bill.
• Work with our delegation and other leaders in Congress to maintain the user fee and contract authority funding principles for transportation.
• Organize and carry out a successful TFIC fly-in in May including meetings with each member of the Illinois delegation as well as additional, more limited fly-ins for TFIC leadership.
• Schedule outreach meetings with new members of the delegation during district work periods.
• Monitor reauthorization proposals and respond as necessary to provisions that would help or hurt Illinois.
These are noble goals, and I hope every state is cooking up more of the same.