Death Toll In Cupertino Now at Three
- Written by Mark Kuhar
October 6, 2011 – This is an update on the situation first reported here yesterday at Lehigh Hanson's Permanente Cement Plant and quarry in Cupertino, Calif. Three people are now confirmed dead, and seven more have been treated for gunshot wounds at hospitals, after an employee went on a shooting rampage. Authorities identified the dead as Mark Muñoz, 59, of San Jose, John Vallejos, 51, of San Jose, and Manuel Guadalupe Piñon, 48, of Newman, all employees of Lehigh. The shooting suspect, Shareef Allman, remains at large. According to local media, Allman, a 47-year-old heavy equipment operator, had been in a safety meeting with more than a dozen co-workers when, police say, he pulled a gun from his waistband and began shooting. One of the survivors of the shooting told the Mercury News that Allman was under pressure at work after repeated accusations of driving recklessly at the quarry. The shooting spree set in motion a daylong manhunt in local communities. Schools went into lockdown mode or told students to stay home, and residents are on high alert. The suspect is still at large.